Education Committee Meeting
Date/Time: 1/3/2018, 8:15am - 9:15am
The Education Committee of the Henderson County Chamber of Commerce will meet at the Chamber headquarters, 204 Kanuga Road, Hendersonville.
EDUCATION & WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
Graham Fields, Chairman
Mission: To ensure the emerging and current workforce have the skills or
opportunity to gain the skills to meet the employer needs for Henderson County.
• Improve the quality and quantity of the local labor pool.
• Support students graduating or otherwise leaving the K-12 system and
entering the workforce.
• Communicate training/educational opportunities for the current
workforce and un/underemployed that improve opportunities for
• Support school administrators, teachers, students, and parents who are
involved in the educational process.
• Determine higher education needs in Henderson County and assist with
awareness and promotion of activities and programs that support these
• Coordinate and secure sponsorships for the New Teachers Event.
• Coordinate and secure sponsorships for the NC Scholars Luncheon.
• Advocate for higher education in Henderson County by promoting
college access activities, including:
1. BRCC Open House
2. College Planning
3. Financial Aid workshops
• Coordinate and manage the Junior Leadership Class.
• Coordinate the Chamber Challenge Trivia Contest as a fundraiser for the
Education Committee’s activities.
• Promote and advocate for the life long educational needs of Henderson
County. Look at goals of Children and Family Services, United Way
Agenda, and JobLink to promote.
• Assist HCPS and other school staff with developing opportunities for
shadowing, internships, and apprenticeships for students, teachers &
professionals in the community.
• Assist BRCC in coordination of the high school junior Career Day.
• Assist BRCC in promoting college access programs and activities
including College Planning workshops, Open Houses, and Financial Aid
• Support professional development partnerships between HCPS schools,
BRCC, local employers and high-tech companies.
• Communicate with local employers regarding job skill needs and future
• Continue working with Wingate University, Lenoir-Rhyne, Mars Hill
College, WCU, UNCA, and others to encourage higher education
opportunities in Henderson County.
• Assist with and promote the Non-Profit Symposium for Counselors.
• Support Education Foundation’s efforts to raise funding for the Leader in
Me implementation of local elementary schools.
• Coordinate Teacher of the Year rewards program.
• Develop programs that connect job seekers with employers.