Mission: To represent the Chamber membership and business community regarding legislative issues and all levels – to act as “The Voice of Business.”
- To become informed on legislative issues affecting the business community and educate the membership and Board of Directors regarding the legislation’s impact.
- Increase communications and opportunities to network with elected officials and key staff members.
- Present Chamber transportation priorities to the appropriate officials and advocate their completion.
- Build consensus among elected officials and community groups regarding transportation projects.
- Organize committee to have members track local legislative issues and identify those that may impact the business community.
- Use resources provided by NCCBI, NCEDA, ACCE and the US Chamber to identify, track and become informed about state and federal issues.
- Hold a Candidates Forum in the fall.
- Coordinate luncheon meetings with elected officials from the City of Hendersonville, Henderson County Commission, Town of Fletcher and the Town of Mills River.
- Encourage business community members to serve on governmental boards and committees.
- If needed, coordinate a leadership trip to Raleigh to advocate Henderson County needs.
- Initiate use of a monthly “Chamber Legislative Report” that is emailed to committee members and interested members.
- Regularly attend French Broad River MPO and Henderson County Transportation Advisory Committee meetings.
- Email highlights of the meetings to committee members and other interested parties/members.
- Develop a priority list of projects that should be accomplished in Henderson County.
- Continue developing relationships with NCDOT staff through face-to-face meetings, both locally and in Raleigh.
- Advocate the swift completion of environmental and other studies related to the I-26 project in Buncombe County from the airport to I-240. This must be completed before work on I-26 in Henderson County can begin.
- Continue efforts to advance the progress of the Upward Road, and Balfour Parkway
- Survey local elected officials and key staff members to determine relevancy of Chamber public policy efforts.